His Genius Humor

With the 10-minute tea break that I had, my mind got to travel from this moment to the time that I'd be back home. I was lost in time and space, and the great mind was speeding up a million miles a millisecond.

But then passersby brought me back to the present, and my mind halted. And just like that, I was on rewind. To the days I had with my father. It was his thing - having coffee by the terrace, sitting around, watching people pass by. Saying his hellos and trying his best to understand the Cebuano dialect when people start talking to him. I was an observer, and it was pretty amusing how he tries, and then calls the mother for translation. I was also really curious how he can get by his hours like that. Just looking for stuffs to do outside the house and then just sits there by himself, alone with his thoughts, and having random short conversations with people he barely know.

And I had this one moment with him. We were sitting there, waiting for Phoebe. For a while, we were silent, not knowing what to do in a crowded place. And then he started talking about what the passersby were up to, what their professions were, what they were thinking of, and random stuffs like that. He was making up stories which may or may not be true. My father was a genius. I couldn't stop laughing! He had a brilliant mind and a great sense of humor. And I couldn't help but smile just thinking about those few minutes we shared, just sitting and surveying the scene.

I guess I need to have more time by myself. Without a phone. Without music. Without a book. There's a lot to learn in this world. Including the art of being alone.

I miss you, pa. Every day.

Comments

Popular Posts