She Once Had Me

“But who can say what's best? That's why you need to grab whatever chance you have of happiness where you find it, and not worry about other people too much. My experience tells me that we get no more than two or three such chances in a life time, and if we let them go, we regret it for the rest of our lives.” 



My second Murakami read and I am, again, in awe. The way he defines places and events makes my mind and my heart get so tangled up, they'd just give in and get drifted by the strong winds into a world unknown.

It's hard to move on from an utterly surreal plot, with all the hints of love and sadness and pain, and a very thin line between fiction and reality. I could almost succumb to hopelessness and depression (if not for buzzes and pings on my almost-giving-up Blackberry and some random music).

I've finished the book 2 days ago and I still keep on skimming the pages, re-reading lines and conversations, and just getting drawn into Toru's world, into Naoko's, and Midori's, and even Reiko's persona. The story has penetrated through my sanity membrane and shoot through to my vulnerability.  I keep on going back to the book, inhaling the scent of the aging papers of yet another secondhand book I got from the House of Prose.

Oh, Murakami, you are beyond amazing! And credits to a beautiful translation by Jay Rubin, too!

Now, I should be moving on. There's so much more emotions this book has stirred but I am, as usual, out of words.

"... Of course, once I do put them into words, I find I can only express a fraction of what I want to say, but that's all right."

Comments

  1. I will now begin my book collection. Any suggestions? =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know your genre, Han. But right now, I'm into Haruki Murakami and Agatha Christie books. I still have random young adult and chic lit and fantasy reads, of course. :) Lemme borrow ha! imy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts