My Trashed Hobby

In 5th grade, I fell in love with baking. I had this thick, hardbound recipe book for desserts, and mastered all things chocolate from then on. And then there was Home Economics and I almost always aced both written and practical cooking and baking. I get frustrated when I don't perfect the recipes (e.g. Leche Flan, Chocolate Crinkles), so if I don't do good in class, I make them at home. I hated stitching and all other things, though. 

It so happened that the cousins love my baking, so they kept on borrowing my recipe books and tried to do things themselves, and eventually failed to return my precious books.

Moving on, life happened. Growing up came in the way of my kitchen hours. I got lazy and spent more time doing things I don't know even really mattered for me. I let go of my oven and those sifting and mixing. I still have some days when I wanna do it, but I didn't entertain the thought anymore.

So I lost it. And forgot all about it. And I'm sorry for me.

I still aspire to make heavenly desserts and mouthwatering, tongue and tummy satiating dishes. And I still dream of  a cozy place of coffee and tea and pastas and pastries. And photos and books. And ... yes, you get the picture.

Last Sunday, I get to bake from scratch, following a Googled recipe and having some modifications to make do of available ingredients.


To take note of what went wrong:
  1. Ended up with no peppermint toppings because we didn't have the confectioner's sugar.
  2. Ended up with too sweet brownies because I can't read the chocolate's label if it's sweetened or not (Was it written in Arabic?), and I did not try tasting it either.
  3. Ended up with almost-burnt outside but moist (in the raw sense of it) inside, because I did not consider checking the Fahrenheit-Celsius part. I just saw the number! Gosh!
In fairness, the ups of what went wrong:
  1. Got the Smores effect by topping it with marshmallows instead of the intended peppermint frosting.
  2. Really sweet, so it got my taste! And it won't go to the tummies in a flash.
  3. Having it baked for another 10 minutes in 150 degrees CELSIUS, got the crisp of good brownies outside, the insides were still moist and the marshmallows melted more.
Slow clap - to baking again. And not just the instant Betty Crocker goodies this time. :)

Comments

Popular Posts