Align-Breathe-Concentrate the Yoga Way

Today, I had my first ever yoga session. I got inspired to try yoga all because of Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love. Yes, a way overdue inspiration since I have read that book and watched that movie almost a year ago now.

And I got pretty motivated since lately, I have been finding time for my own wants. And again, I was thinking of boxing as my tension and anger outlet. But since a friend, Gene, suggested we try yoga first, (and that we will just inquire there about boxing) I got pretty excited because someone was coming to yoga class with me. At last, I could do something with that inspiration and that motivation. Sadly, though, Gene was not able to come with us this afternoon since he got other important things to attend to. So I attended my first every yoga class with Yen and Mae.

And it was far from my expectations. I thought we would be starting with the breathing and the concentration part. I thought that to be able to do yoga, one has to be able to relax and let go of all else first; and honestly, that was the primary reason why I needed it. I wanted to be relaxed, to be able to control my thoughts, to be able to let go of unnecessary and unneeded thoughts and feelings. But hey, I guess that is the most difficult part of it all.

So we started warming up, and then on to the flexibility part. Flexibility as in all those almost impossible postures and actions, while breathing in and breathing out. And instead of breathing in, holding it, and then slowly breathing out, I was either panting, or unable to stay aware of my breathing pattern. But the postures and the 'stunts' were pretty cool. I never thought we can do those, but yes we could, without breaking our bones there.

Unfortunately for me, I could not concentrate at all. During the last part, the meditation part, instead of imagining what the instructor was letting us visualize, I had my own world of crazy imaginations. Instead of seeing that white light that he was describing, all I could see was black. Pfft.

ABCs of yoga: Alignment-Breathing-Concentration. I guess my first day was a fail. Though I was able to perform those almost gymnastic moves, I was not able to meet my expectations for myself. But, it was still very good for me. I had fun, and I started another thing that I was looking forward to for so long now.

So I would definitely be back there. Metro Sports Center. Tuesdays and Fridays. 6PM to 7PM. And that would be for 50Php per session. And, and, I want to try their hiphop and zumba, too. And wall or rock climb again. Oh, how I wish I had all the time, the energy, and the funds. One at a time, Rein. Take it slow.

Now, I have to start working with these articles, and earn at least a little.

Thank you, to the One up above, for making things fall into place.

Comments

Popular Posts