Getting in a Story World of Fantasy


I finished reading the last book of Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments Trilogy just today. I read the first two books, City of Bones and City of Ashes, mid 2009, and then I just got hold of the last one, City of Glass, just this year because it was not available here in Cebu in paperback. (btw, the books are my sister's :))

As an urban fantasy series, I got hooked again with it, like I got hooked with Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga.

The series runs around the life of Clary, a Shadowhunter who grew up as an ordinary human being. A little after their place was attacked by demons, and her mom was nowhere to be found, she learned that she was not in any way ordinary after all. Without knowing how she'd get her answers, she met other Shadowhunters, including Jace to whom she fell in love with, and other Downworlders: werewolves, vampires, faeries, warlocks; who helped her get through the tough time of questions and changes. All throughout her journey of having extraordinary abilities, there was always her bestfriend, Simon, who was a mundane, transformed into a vampire.

The twists and turns of the series gave me a fascinating ride: their special abilities, the once forbidden love, the triangle with a lover and a best friend, the relationship of a family destroyed by the hunger for power, and the part wherein you know the story should end, no matter how much you don't want it to.

You ought to read this series! And as I was surfing the net, I learned that there's going to be a 4th book coming out 2011. That's too long to wait! urgh! But, definitely, when it gets published I'm going to read all three again, before I get to the fourth book. It's not a trilogy after all. :)

Comments

Popular Posts